Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This cake tastes even better the next day and freezes well, you may drizzle a glaze on top of the cake after baking if desired --- Do not use the pudding-added cake mix for this.
- 10 whole graham crackers
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans or 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) box French vanilla cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) box French vanilla instant pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- For the streusel; place the graham crackers in a plastic bag, seal and then roll with a rolling pin until crushed (do not crush until fine) place the crumbs in a bowl.
- Add in the brown sugar, 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoon melted butter and cinnamon; mix until blended, then add in the pecans or walnuts; set aside.
- For the cake; in a large bowl beat all cake ingredients together until blended.
- Pour HALF the cake batter into prepared buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle with HALF of the streusel mix evenly over the top of the batter.
- Then carefully spread the remaining cake batter over streusel.
- Then top with remaining streusel.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- If desired, drizzle glaze over the top of the cake after baking.
I made this in mini bundt pans. It took a little longer but I received many requests for the recipe when I gave them to friends. Thanks.
This is a great coffee cake using ingredients on hand. I didn't have vanilla pudding so I used the butterscotch pudding I had. It worked fine - I imagine any flavor would work. Also, I used graham cracker crumbs and was pleased with them too. Nuts in the streusel would be yummy. This was tasty warmed up in the microwave two days later. Great recipe!
Was looking for something to make with a cake mix I had bought and found this. Sounded interesting because it used graham crackers. Followed the directions exactly and wow -what a surprise . . . wonderful, moist, yummy cake . . . my husband keeps taking pieces to the office for dessert after lunch! This cake will become a regular at our house!