Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an old favorite from the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- Roll crackers to fine crumbs; reserve 1/2 cup and mix remaining crumbs with marshmallows, nuts and dates.
- Add cream slowly until mixture is moist enough to hold together.
- Shape into a roll about 2 1/2 inches in diameter; roll in reserved crumbs.
- Wrap tightly in waxed paper and refrigerate at least 12 hours before serving.
- Cut into 1/2" slices and serve with whipped cream.
This is so delicious. Very rich. My Grandmother use to make this every Christmas and we carry on that tradition to this day. We call it Icebox Cake. I've used fat free half and half in place of the cream to and it works great. I'm so happy you've posted the recipe here so I have a backup in case I ever lose mine. Thanks Molly!
im glad you had this recipe . im doing libbies cookbook and ALL it had were ingredients everything was 1 for her .no 1/2 lbs it is from th 30s and 40s and most of the recipes arent here or in some cases even online .thank you for posting this .dee