Recipe by mollypaul
This is an old favorite from the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
Top Review by zaar mate
This is so delicious. Very rich. My Grandmother use to make this every Christmas and we carry on that tradition to this day. We call it Icebox Cake. I've used fat free half and half in place of the cream to and it works great. I'm so happy you've posted the recipe here so I have a backup in case I ever lose mine. Thanks Molly!
- 1⁄2 lb graham cracker
- 1⁄2 lb marshmallows, cut fine
- 1 cup walnuts, broken
- 1 cup dates, finely minced
- 1 cup cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Roll crackers to fine crumbs; reserve 1/2 cup and mix remaining crumbs with marshmallows, nuts and dates.
- Add cream slowly until mixture is moist enough to hold together.
- Shape into a roll about 2 1/2 inches in diameter; roll in reserved crumbs.
- Wrap tightly in waxed paper and refrigerate at least 12 hours before serving.
- Cut into 1/2" slices and serve with whipped cream.