Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
Go to most any small Maine restaurant or diner that serves homecooking and you'll find this creamy pie.
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven 375 degrees F.
- Crush crackers using a ziplock bag and rolling pin.
- Add sugar and soft butter, mix well.
- Press crumb mixture into deep dish pie pan.
- Bake 7 minutes and cool.
- Filling: Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and egg yolks in a bowl.
- Add warm milk slowly to sugar mixture.
- Pour back into a sauce pan and cook over med.
- heat stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add vanilla and cool slightly.
- Pour filling into a cooled crust.
- Cover filling w/ a thin coating of butter and cool.
- Meringue: Beat room temp.
- egg whites, salt and sugar until slightly stiff and shiney.
- Add cream of tartar and beat until white firm stiff peaks.
- Spread meringue over pie making sure it touches the crust to prevent shrinking.
- Place under an oven broiler and let meringue brown a bit.
- Watch carefully as this takes only a minute.
SWEEEEET! My husband's mom makes this everytime we visit her in TN (and had for years before). He's addicted to it, and the story goes that when her husband and her son (my husband) lived at home, two were always made. One eaten warm and the other saved for later when it had cooled. This pie is most addictive. I had the recipe written down, but Mom's handwriting isn't the best in the world and everyone knows how easy it is to loose an index card!!! THANKS!
This went together quick and easy...I cheated and used a boughten graham cracker shell. It turned out just fine--great flavor adn texture!! Thank you for sharing!
This is a mom approved!!! She was born and raised in Maine, and says it is just the BEST. Higher praise I've never heard. I made this for Thanksgiving, and now it is demanded again for Christmas. Thanks!!!