Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Great with any kind of fresh berries
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- ------To prepare crust-------.
- Combine first 3 ingredients, and stir well with a whisk.
- Add melted butter; toss until moist.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons crumb mixture; set aside.
- Press the remaining mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray; lightly coat crust with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, and remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- --------To prepare the filling-------.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan; stir in milk.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the hot milk mixture to eggs, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Return mixture to pan.
- Cook over medium heat until thick (about 2 minutes), stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
- Pour the hot filling into prepared crust.
- ----To prepare meringue---------.
- Place the egg whites and the cream of tartar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and beat well.
- Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue evenly over the hot filling, sealing to edge of crust.
- Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden.
- Cool 1 hour on a wire rack.
- Chill at least 2 hours.