Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
I found this recipe in the first issue of Cooking Light and it really is great. Adding the egg white is a brilliant idea! Holds together very well. I am diabetic so I love the reduced sugar and reduced fat content.
- In a food processor, combine crumbs (either graham cracker or vanilla wafer), sugar and butter.
- Pulse until blended.
- Add egg white and pulse until evenly moistened.
- Press into a 9" pie plate.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool completely before using.
The egg whites made it chewy and hard. Wished I'd followed another recipe instead because it ruined an otherwise great pie.
Combining the ingredients in a food processor makes all the difference! Even without adding sugar or an egg white, my crust came out with a solid, store-bought texture that kept its form when the pie was cut.
No rating because I didn't like the results of my tweaking ... used graham wafer crumbs and eggbeaters. The crust was too hard for me. I liked the low-fat but not convinced that adding egg works.