Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
In my search for the ultimate coconut cream pie, I came across this recipe. Wonderful stuff! from Icebox Pies cookbook.
- 11 whole graham crackers (to yield apprx. 1 1/3 cups crumbs)
- 1⁄8 stick cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon pure coconut extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Place graham crackers in food processor and process until finely ground.
- Can also put them inside plastic bag and use a rolling pin to grind down by hand.
- Combine crumbs, butter, coconut, coconut extract and salt in bowl, stirring until crumbs are moistened.
- Press mixture evenly across 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake crust until crisp, about 7 minutes.
- Let cool completely before filling.
- Crust may be tightly wrapped in plastic and frozen up to one month.
I was making a coconut pie for Thanksgiving, and I wanted to add a little something, something to it. I wasn't sure what so I found this. I used Chocolate Graham Crackers. OH man was it the extra kick that it needed. I did have to add quite a bit more butter to it to get it to hold together, yet it was just what the pie needed.
Good crust! I toasted the coconut a little bit before adding it, and I also had to add more butter- probably about 4-5T total, and it was still a little dry, but it tasted great. I made it for the Key Lime Pie recipe that's on the bottle of Joe and Nellie's Key Lime juice. Topped that w/ whipped cream that I'd added 3T of instant vanilla pudding to... turned out really delicious!
Poor recipe<br/>What is 1/8 stick cup butter?<br/>It turned out it requires a stick of butter.<br/>How hard is that ?<br/>After baking for 10 minutes (not 7) the recipe came out fine