Recipe by BlondieItaliana
I had this once on a stop in Georgia & fell in love with it... it was so comforting I just loved it! I made it one time nut-free by substituting white chocolate chips instead of nuts for a friend with a nut allergy - I served it as Christmas Cake for her Holiday Party & I loved it even more that way - it was sweet & decadent! I'm posting the traditional recipe though, but at least you see that substitutions are not always a bad thing :-)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped (or pecans)
- nonstick cooking spray (Bakers Joy to prep. cake pans)
- 1 cup butter, softened well
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk (or half & half)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cake mix, graham cracker crumbs, sugar, water and egg whites in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend on medium speed for 3-5 minutes with electric mixer.
- Stir in nuts by hand.
- Spray 2 9 inch round cake pans with Bakers Joy & pour in the cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
- Frost only when completely cool.