Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Recipe from Penzey's.
- 32 full sized graham crackers, crushed in a bag with a rolling pin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temp
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar, for dusting cake or 1⁄2 cup cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Grease and flour a 9x13x2-inch glass baking pan.
- Pour crushed graham crackers into a bowl.
- Separate the egg yolks. (Reserve the egg whites for another recipe.)
- With a mixer, cream the butter and sugar on high until well blended. Reduce speed to low, add egg yolks, vanilla and cinnamon. Blend well to combine.
- Sprinkle flour and baking powder into bowl w/graham cracker crumbs. With mixer on low, alternate adding crackers and milk in 1/3’s. Start with graham crackers, end w/milk. The batter is fairly dry, so make sure it is well mixed.
- If you’re using nuts, add them at this point by hand, stirring gently ino the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the pan, smoothing toward the edges.
- Bake for 40-45 minute The cake will pull away from the edges of the pan when it is done, and the middle will be springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven, let cool completely, then dust w/powdered sugar or frost and cut into serving squares.