Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Inspired by Hats off Graduation Treat ... Thanks looneytunesfan! I used Duncan Hines classic yellow cake mix and added three tablespoons of cocoa powder, because I wanted the cupcakes to be closer in color to the graham crackers than a fudge cake mix would have been. The cooking time includes cooling time. There will be some licorice strings left over after you finish making the "tassels."
- 18 1⁄4 ounces cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 24 chocolate graham cracker squares
- chocolate spread
- 1 licorice twist (Twizzlers Pull-n-Peel)
- Preheat oven to 350; line muffin tins with cupcake holders.
- Prepare the batter according to the directions on the box. (Duncan Hines' classic yellow cake mix calls for the measures of liquid and eggs I listed in the ingredients.).
- Pour batter into the muffin tins; be sure not to over-fill the cups, because you want the tops of the cupcakes to be somewhat flat.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes; remove and let cool completely.
- Peel the paper liners from the cupcakes; invert cupcakes onto a foil-lined tray. Spread 1/4 teaspoon of chocolate spread on the bottom (now top) of each cupcake; top with a graham cracker square.
- Cut the Twizzlers rope into three equal pieces. Separate into individual strings. Dip the end of each string into chocolate spread, and gently press into the center of the graham cracker.