Recipe by RJ Hallstrom
This is my attempt to duplicate the wonderful green chile stew we ate while on vacation in New Mexico earlier this month. This is a mild stew, so if you want it spicier, add jalapenos or other hot pepper(s) of your choice.
- 1 lb ground chuck (lean)
- 1 cup yellow sweet onion, finely-diced
- 16 ounces canned diced green chiles (4 4-oz cans)
- 3 small potatoes, diced in small pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat in large pot.
- Add chopped onion, green chiles and tomatoes.
- Add garlic powder, salt, pepper & sugar.
- Stir well and simmer on low for about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes and water.
- Cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- NOTE: If you want a "hotter" stew, add some chopped jalapeno or habanero peppers, to your taste.