Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
The perfect cookie when you're craving chocolate without all the guilt! Mostly whole wheat, and the only sugar is from the small amount in the semi-sweet chocolate chips. This makes for a lower glycemic index. Makes for a tasty dessert when served with sugar-free ice cream and cool whip. There is no baking powder or baking soda in the recipe.
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil (I use safflower)
- 118.29 ml Splenda granular, for baking
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 177.44 ml white whole wheat flour
- 59.14 ml unbleached white flour
- 59.14 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 59.14 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 28.39 ml coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 4.92 ml unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Mix together the oil, sugar substitute, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Sift together the flours, cocoa powder and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Mix in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Form into 15 1-1/2 inch balls and place on non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.
- While still warm, dust cookies with cocoa powder.
Made these tonight after supper for a quick dessert for my diabetic DH. I was wanting to make something more like a regular chocolate chip cookie, so I left out the cocoa and replaced it with an extra 1/4 cup of unbleached white flour. I also used mini chocolate chips. I did flatten them slightly but should have pressed them harder because these cookies do not spread at all. They smelled delicious as they were baking (mmm ... warm chocolate - what's not to like?) and I thought they tasted pretty good. DH wasn't as thrilled with them as I had hoped, but I will try them again & will try using the cocoa in the dough as well. Thanks for posting! -M =)
These are a very chocolate, low-sugar cookie. I do not have Splenda for baking but used an equal amount of Splenda/granulated sugar. To put more chocolate chips throughout the cookie, I used mini chocolate chips. The one thing I would suggest, is that the cookies be flattened slightly before baking. These were made for the *Bake-A-Thon in honor of CoolMonday*.