Grinding the oats and almonds makes this more kid friendly! A cross between granola bars and Rice Krispies treats! Adapted from Sneaky Chef cookbook.
- 2⁄3 cup rolled oats, ground in food processor (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, ground in food processor (about 1/2 cup, may use other nuts if you like-if allergic to nuts, use 1/2 cup more ground oats)
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 cup crispy brown rice cereal (or Rice Krispies)
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (any neutral tasting oil)
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (or any dried fruit you like-optional)
- Preheat oven to 300*F.
- Line a 9" square or 13x9" bakiing pan completely with foil or parchment paper and butter the foil(or spray with cooking spray).
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, almonds, wheat germ, ground flax seeds, cereal, fry milk, cinnamon, and salt. Mix in the oil, honey, vanilla, and the optional chocolate chips and fruit, if using.
- Mix well, then pour into the prepared baking pan. Press down with the palm of your hand, evenly distributing the mixture into the corners of the dish and bake for 15-18 minutes. Check occasionally to prevent burning.
- Remove from the oven and using the foil to help you, lift the giant bar out of the pan. Place on a flat surface and while still warm, cut into small bars.
- Store in an airtight container fo up to a week, or freeZe in plastic bags. Enjoy!