Beth E's Note:
I made these cookies from a home basics recipe with my own additions and omissions. Getting them ready to take camping and I sure hope they last that long. They are yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup margarine (I used golden crisco)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dried currant
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans or 1 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- 2With an electric mixer beat margarine together with sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat to combine. Add pineapple to egg mixture and beat just to combine.
- 3In a large bowl whisk together oats, flour, soda and cinnamon. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and blend well. Mix in fruit and nuts by hand.
- 4Drop 1/3 cup measures of the batter onto the prepared sheets leaving 2 inches in between each cookie. Flatten with damp hands to 1/2 inch thickness.
- 5Bake until golder brown approx 15 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand 5 minutes then place on a rack to cool.
- 6** I didn't use pineapple and found the mix a little dry so added 1/2 apple sauce. Forgot the vanilla and it tasted just fine. For the dried fruit I added a mixture of raisins, currants, dried cranberries and choc chips. Have a few here that don't like nuts so I just tossed in a small handful of pecans, walnuts and almonds.
- 7I also made mine much smaller than called for.
- 8Next time I'll try adding some ground flax. Or maybe some wheat germ -- bran -- lots of healthy add ins could be used.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grab-And-Go Breakfast Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.3
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 211.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 26.6 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: