Recipe by elissa y.
This is a wonderful chili recipe sure to please family or guests. I got this recipe from a friend who said this was truely the best white chili she had ever eaten.
Top Review by nupur.jindal
Great recipe! I made a few modifications though..I added two tablespoons of flour to oil and made a dark roux from it. I also added green pepper, onion, and celery so there was a bit of cajun flair to it. I did not add any cheese and sour cream. Instead, I garnished with chopped tomatoes and a bit of rice. It was a hit :-)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter, unsalted
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper (to taste)
- 4 ounces of whole mild green chilies, drained and chopped
- 5 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 2 lbs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- coriander, to garnish chili
- salsa, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain beans in a colander and rinse well.
- In a skillet cook onion in 2 tablespoons of butter over moderate heat until softened.
- In a 6-8 quart heavy kettle melt remaining 6 tablespoons of butter over moderate low heat and whisk in flour. Cool roux, whisking constantly, 3 minutes. STir in onion and gradually add broth and half and half, whisking constantly. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in tabasco sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, and white pepper. Add beans, chilies, chicken, and <Monteray Jack cheese and cook mixture over moderately low heat, stirring, 20 minutes. Stir in sour cream into chili.
- Garnish chili with coriander and serve with salsa.