Recipe by GT in SA
A soup that really perks up the taste buds. An ideal starter to literally wet the appetite. As usual, the use of quality fresh ingredients produces the best quality product. Ideally, use fresh vine-ripened tomatoes and sun-ripened oranges. Store bought or canned/bottled can also be used in a pinch but the taste slides down the scale accordingly. Do not exceed the quantities of onion, potato or carrot as this will overpower the soup. The tomato and orange flavours should be primary and the other veges function only to provide a "body enhancer".
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 large ripe orange, juice of
- 2 tablespoons chopped potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup water
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, deseed and chop tomatoes.
- Sautee onion, potato and carrot in 1/2 cup water until soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes, bring to a slow boil and cook for no more than 2min.
- Turn off heat and blend mixture with hand-held blender.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, mix in orange juice and serve immediately.