Recipe by Little Mommy
This can be made ahead of time and then baked. It really kicks up an otherwise "easy" meal of spaghetti with meatballs or fettucine alfredo. Don't forget the salt... it helps with the eggplant's bitterness. I put in all of the ingredients that suit my own tastes, but you can leave some out depending on what your family likes (mine won't touch tomatoes!)
- 2 small eggplants
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large tomatoes, seeded, and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 lb small bay scallop
- 10 baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, and asiago grated cheese blend
- 1 bunch fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (use more or less depending on your taste)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add 2 T. olive oil to a skillet and preheat over medium heat.
- Preheat over to 350.
- Cut eggplants in half lengthwise and scrape out the flesh. Cube the flesh.
- lightly salt and pepper inside of eggplant skin and the cubes, allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- cook eggplant cubes in skillet about 5 minutes, or until soft, add garlic, mushrooms and onion. Saute an additional 5 minutes. Add white wine and scallops to skillet and cook another 3-5 minutes.
- In large bowl combine eggplant mixture, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan/asiago blend, tomato, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup olive oil, oregano, basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill eggplant skins with this mixture, cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes, or until cheese browns slightly.