Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
My favorite rice recipe. I've been making it for over 20 years.
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup celery
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- Brown rice in 1 tablespoon of butter& 2 tablespoons of oil till toasted (light brown).
- Bring water to a boil, add salt& toasted rice.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- While rice is cooking chop onion& celery.
- Saute onion, celery& mushrooms in remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and add seasonings.
- Add cooked rice and toss to blend.
I was looking for a simple rice recipe that tasted a little different from the ordinary and this was it. I didn't use the mushrooms as I didn't have them on hand and the recipe was fine. I'll be taking this rice to work with me for lunch tomorrow, I liked it that much. It has a subtle, not overpowering flavour. I did halve the spices, though.
Yes, this was an excellent recipe. I browned the rice using olive oil and the butter. The sauted onion & celery added a very nice flavor. Thanks for sharing this very tasty dish it will replace our normal steamed rice.
One of the best rice recipes i've ever tasted