Recipe by The Spice Guru
My recipe for real mayonnaise is easy to make, with the aid of a kitchen blender.
- 1 fresh whole egg
- 1 fresh egg, yolk
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: I HAVE BEEN MAKING MAYONNAISE FOR YEARS AND HAVE NEVER HAD A SINGLE OCURRRENCE OF "SALMONELLA"! USE ONLY THE FRESHEST CRACK-FREE EGGS THAT HAVE BEEN PROPERLY REFRIGERATED. BEFORE BREAKING EGGS, SANITIZE THE OUTER SHELLS FIRST, THEN RINSE WELL FOR ADDED SAFETY. SERVE PREPARED MAYONNAISE USING A CLEAN UTENSIL WHICH HAS NOT HAD CONTACT WITH OTHER INGREDIENTS. KEEP UNUSED MAYONNAISE SEALED AND REFRIGERATED. SINCE ANY NATURAL PRESERVATIVE-FREE MAYONNAISE IS PERISHABLE, USE WITHIN 3 DAYS.
- SELECT a durable, quality kitchen blender with a removable center lid knob.
- CRACK one whole egg into the blender.
- SEPARATE another egg then add the yolk into blender.
- ADD the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the canola oil (2 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (REMOVE ANY SEEDS BEFORE ADDING!), 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon white sugar, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 pinch garlic powder, 1 pinch white pepper); PLACE blender lid into place.
- TURN blender on to the WHIP setting for a few seconds to emulsify mixture; STOP blender and remove lid; REMOVE blender lid's center knob to leave a feeding hole; REPLACE adjusted lid.
- INTO a clear measuring cup with a spout top, add canola oil to the 3/4 cup mark.
- SLOWLY trickle oil into blender feeder hole by drips or up to the thinnest steady stream, until all of the oil has been added, and the mayonnaise is completely blended and emulsified.
- TRANSFER mayonnaise into a resealable container to refrigerate (mayonnaise will emulsify further with refrigeration), or use right away (keep unused portion refrigerated at all times, and use the fresh mayonnaise within 3 days).
- SERVE with your favorite foods and enjoy!