Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This wonderful dish has been a family favorite since I was a child. I think I remember my mom getting the recipe out of the local newspaper back in the early 70's. It tastes like a loaded baked potato to me, only better! It is great for the holidays, especially the 'dairy' ones.
- 8 russet potatoes
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Cook potatoes in skins and cool.
- When cooled, peel and grate or shred, like hash browns.
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter sides and bottom of a large casserole dish or spray with cooking spray.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in saucepan and add grated cheese. Remove from heat when melted and add the sour cream, chopped onion, salt and pepper. Stir completely.
- Add mixture to the grated potatoes and mix well.
- Place in buttered casserole and dot with the 3 tablespoons of butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until bubbly and golden-brown on top.
This indeed is a yummy dish, that just pulls you in from the cold outside, and begs you to sit right on the couch with a big spoon, and lazily devour this to warm both your insides and clear your mind of any unpleasantness. Very easy to put together, inexpensive, and glorious for your soul. I agree, it does taste like a baked potato/skins! Maybe add some bacon, a dollop of sour cream and green onions next time. You can't go wrong on this. OH MY! Made for my PAC baby, Fall 2011.
This potato dish was so yummy, rich, and creamy and so very easy to make! I made half a batch using cheddar cheese andthe other half using pepper jack cheese since I had a little of both to use up. I must say, both versions were very tasty and my family gobbled them both up! They do taste like loaded baked potatoes without the skins. I think that they would be yummy with crumbled, crispy bacon or your favorite potato topping added to the mixture. I may try it with a different cheese next time, just to experiment. This will definitely become a family favorite!
Excellent flavors and what a great way to put this potato dish together. I used a light sour cream and backed off on the butter a little but it was still full of flavor. I used seasoned salt for the salt and made half the recipe for the 2 of us, using 5 small Russet potatoes. Thanks for sharing. Made for I Recommend Tag Game.