1 hr 15 mins
Real food fan's Note:
This is the ultimate comfort food! The flavor comes from the all-natural ingredients and the preparation techniques. You will not be sorry you took the time to make this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, set out on counter to defrost
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1/2 cup wheat flour or 1/4 cup cornstarch, for gluten-free
- 2 cups chicken broth (homemade or best quality store bought)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 3 cups cooked chicken (use roasted or rotisserie to save time, if preferred) or 3 cups cooked turkey (use roasted or rotisserie to save time, if preferred)
- 1 pie crust (use your favorite recipe or store bought)
- 1 egg
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Heat large pan to medium.
- 3Add butter and saute onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, and dash of salt and pepper for 10-15 min, until onions are translucent.
- 4If using flour as thickener, add flour and stir into mixture for 1 minute.
- 5If using cornstarch as thickener, add cornstarch to small amount of half-and-half and stir till combined.
- 6Combine half-and-half, broth, and white wine and gradually stir into sauteed veggie mixture.
- 7Cook over medium heat and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- 8Add meat, peas, salt, pepper, thyme, and nutmeg and stir well.
- 9Pour into a 2-quart casserole dish and top with pie crust.
- 10Cut 3 slits to allow steam to escape.
- 11Beat the egg and use a pastry brush to generously apply egg to pie crust top.
- 12Bake for 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- 13* Can be made ahead and kept in the fridge up to two days before cooking or kept frozen for approximately 30 days. Defrost in fridge before baking. If making ahead, brush egg on pastry before dish goes into the oven.
Browse Our Top Pot Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gourmet Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 810.3
- Calories from Fat 421
- Total Fat 46.8 g
- Saturated Fat 20.3 g
- Cholesterol 188.2 mg
- Sodium 1528.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 40.4 g