I found this recipe today among some newspaper cuttings. I've not tried it yet but it sure sounds yummy - and flexible. You could vary the topping ingredients with whatever takes your fancy or have on-hand, for example, pesto, fresh tomato sauce, capers, pine-nuts, anchovies, artichokes, smoked chicken, Italian sausage, ham, bacon, pepperoni, jalapenos, pineapple......the list is endless. Have fun!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced portabella mushroom
- 1 italian eggplant, sliced thinly
- 1 zucchini, sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 vidalia onion, sliced finely
- 1/4 cup semi sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese or 1 cup pizza cheese
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup sliced kalamata olive
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1Heat oven to 375 deg.
- 3Lightly oil a flan or quiche dish.
- 4Squeeze excess juice from grated potatoes and combine with flour in a bowl.
- 5Add eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and pepper to taste, and mix in well.
- 6Press potato mixture into prepared dish, and bake in pre-heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until egg has started to set.
- 7Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a pan and lightly saute mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, red pepper and onion.
- 8Remove pizza base from oven, and top with eggplant mixture, followed by remaining ingredients.
- 9Place in oven for a further 15 to 20 minutes, or until potato base is set and the topping is golden.
- 10Serve with a freshly tossed, green salad.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gourmet Mediterranean Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (526 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.9
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 198.5 mg
- Sodium 645.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 22.4 g