Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
Now I'm not a meatloaf person at all, but I saw this picture in a magazine this month and it looked incredible. I figure what the heck, I'll give it a try. I changed a few things but I'm converted - it was fantastic, gourmet according to the BF. The worst thing was I forgot to take a picture. I made it with Redskin Mashed Potatoes #126500
- 3 lbs ground beef (80/20)
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb bacon, chopped into one inch pieces
- 2 large yellow onions
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- olive oil (for frying)
- parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced
- 4 slices bacon, chopped in one pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Chop 2 onions and and 1 lb of the bacon in a large pan and a little olive oil. Cook the bacon and onions until the bacon is crisp.
- Chop up the tomatoes and put to the side.
- Chop up the basil. I rolled and cut into small ribbons.
- Drain onions and bacon but save the liquid to use as gravy.
- With a spoon mix the meat, basil, tomatoes, eggs, cooked bacon, and cooked onion, and bread crumbs in a large bowl. Adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill a 9"x13" baking pan with the meatloaf mixture. Then I sprinkled some parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs on top adnd bake for 35 minutes, until the meat is brown all the way through.
- Then take the other half onion and slice and fry with bacon until crispy.
- Remove from the pan, leaving the grease and adding the grease saved previously, should be about 1/4 cup.
- Gradually add the flour mixing together well.
- Add water gradually and then milk.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, cooking to desired thickness.
- I served a square of meatloaf with a scoop of mashed potatoes and then some of the fried onions and then some gravy.