- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup espresso, strong brewed
- 1⁄4 cup brandy (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1⁄2 lb ladyfinger
- cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- For the SYRUP, combine water and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar.
- Remove from heat, cool.
- Add coffee and optional brandy.
- For the FILLING, whip cream with sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Fold cream into softened mascarpone.
- ASSEMBLE a layer of the ladyfingers (or sponge cake slices) in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish or gratin dish.
- Sprinkle with half the syrup.
- Spread with half the filling.
- Repeat with remaining ladyfingers, syrup and filling, spreading the top smooth, using a metal spatula.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before serving.
- Immediately before serving place cocoa in a fine strainer and shake a light coating on surface.