1 hr 5 mins
This is adapted from a recipe I found in a "Cook's Country" magazine, which among other things different, used 4 cups colby cheese to my 2 (I got tired of shredding). However, I found the 4 cups total cheese to suit me just fine. Also, I think I used less butter, but I don't remember exactly how much so I'll stay true to the recipe on that one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced (fresh garlic goes a long way in this)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded colby cheese (I use Tillamook brand, best tasting cheese, in my opinion, that one can find at the standard superma)
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese (again, Tillamook)
- 1 (16 ounce) can chicken, reserve the broth
- 1Pulse bread, Parmesan, garlic, and 2 tablespoons of butter in a food processor until coarsely ground. (Alternatively, using your hands to do such also works.).
- 2Cook pasta as directed, drain it, and pour into a baking dish of choice.
- 3Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and make sure there is an oven rack in the middle position.
- 4Heat remaining butter, flour, mustard, and cayenne over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 5Slowly whisk in broth, drained chicken broth, and cream and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat to medium and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- 7Take the pot off the heat, and whisk in the cheese, chicken, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- 8Mix the sauce in with the pasta, cover with aluminum foil, and bake in the middle oven rack for 20 minutes.
- 9Remove the foil, top with breadcrumbs, and bake until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese With Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 876.8
- Calories from Fat 507
- Total Fat 56.3 g
- Saturated Fat 32.7 g
- Cholesterol 181.7 mg
- Sodium 883.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 35.2 g