Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
When preparing the following pastas in advance (up to six hours), keep them covered and chilled and then let them come to room temperature before baking. From Gourmet, February 1994.
- 103.53 ml unsalted butter
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 946.36 ml milk
- 7.39 ml dry mustard
- 0.59 ml cayenne (to taste)
- 453.59 g elbow macaroni
- 709.77 ml coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese, about 12 ounces
- 314.66 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese, about 4 ounces
- 236.59 ml fresh breadcrumb
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a 3- to 4-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish.
- In a heavy saucepan melt 6 tablespoons butter over moderately low heat. Add flour and cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes. Add milk in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking. Add mustard, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer sauce, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- In a kettle of salted boiling water cook macaroni until just al dente, about 7 minutes, and drain well. In a large bowl stir together macaroni, sauce, Cheddar, and 1 cup Parmesan and transfer to prepared dish.
- In a small bowl stir together bread crumbs and remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan and sprinkle evenly over macaroni. Cut remaining 1 tablespoon butter into bits and scatter over topping.
- Bake macaroni in middle of oven 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.