Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Bold North african flavors stand up to even the heartiest of hot dogs. Pile the dogs high with spicy harissa or sambal oelek flavored carmalized onions' a bright, pleasantly bitter preserved lemon relish; and just a bit of hummus. ** from Bon Appetit I used sambal oelek and i used mint from my garden that i froze and then defrosted a bit... It worked.
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced with peel, seeded
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, fresh and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mint, fresh and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions, halved thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon harissa (aka chile paste) or 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon sambal oelek (aka chile paste)
- 3⁄4 cup purchased hummus
- 6 hot dog buns, grilled
- 6 beef hot dogs, grilled
- Bring first 3 ingredients to boil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Cover and simmer until lemons are tender, about 12 minutes. Uncover; simmer until liquid thickens to syrup, about 8 minutes. Transfer syrup to bowl and cool. Chop lemon slices; add to bowl and cool. Chop lemon slices; add to bowl. Mix in herbs, oil, and garlic.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onions; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover; cook until onions are golden, stirring often, about 25 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water and 1 tablespooon harissa (or sambal). Simmer until water is absorbed, 4 to 5 minutes. Add more harissa, if desired.
- Hot Dogs:.
- Spread hummus on buns or crosswise in strip on each hot dog bun. Top with eah with grilled hot dog, then onions and relish. Roll up hot dog bun and serve.