Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 mins
These are out of this world.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage (I use Bob Evans)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked white grits
- 0.5 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sun-dried tomato
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Crumble sausage into medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned, stirring occasionally. Drain off any drippings; set aside. Bring water to a rapid boil in large saucepan. While stirring, add grits in steady stream until mixture thickens into smooth paste. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Stir in sausage, spinach, cheese and tomatoes. Pour into greased 9×5-inch loaf pan. Refrigerate until cool and firm.
- Unmold. Slice into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds or until soft. Add grit slices, 4 to 5 at a time, and cook until golden brown on both sides. Repeat until all slices are cooked. Serve hot. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Serving Suggestion: Melt thin slice of mozzarella cheese on top of each browned slice. This also makes a wonderful side dish for chicken, topped with warmed seasoned tomato or spaghetti sauce.