1/3 Photos of Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Milan Style
In Milan, toasted cheese sandwiches are a popular gourmet treat. The cheese is laid over the artisan bread and then topped with olives, roasted peppers and herbs. The sandwich is closed, pressed tightly and browned on both sides with olive oil. This easy to make recipe is perfect for anyone in a time crunch. They only take 5 - 10 minutes to make! Adapted from Mezzetta web site. Cheese is produced in New England, the West and the Mid West.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, strips
- 0.5 (14 ounce) jar pimento stuffed olives, Sliced
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices french style fresh baked bread (thinly sliced)
- 2 1/2-3 1/3 cups shredded fontina (or cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese)
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, chopped (more or less to taste)
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro (or green onion or parsley)
- 1Mix the sliced olives and sliced roasted red peppers in a bowl with garlic and cilantro or green onion. Sprinkle 4 slices of bread with half of the cheese and then top with the pepper-olive mixture. Apply the remaining cheese as another layer. Top with a second piece of bread and press together.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and gently brown the sandwiches, turning once or twice as the cheese melts and holds the bread together. Some of the cheese will ooze out and crisp in the skillet, which is delicious, even if it burns slightly.
- 3Serve hot, on a paper napkin lined plate to absorb the excess cooking fat. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Milan Style
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 689.8
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 95.7 mg
- Sodium 3120.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 30.1 g