Alton Brown's take on grilled cheese for grownups. My version lacks the humor of his recipe because of copyright, but it's GOOD.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bread, sliced thin (your choice of loaf, but the bigger the loaf, the bigger the sandwich)
- 1 teaspoon smooth Dijon mustard (or more)
- 1 cup grated sharp aged cheddar cheese (or a combo of smoked Gouda and Gruyere, or Fontina and young Asiago. The flavors are up to you, but)
- olive oil, for spraying
- 1Take two heavy skillets which nest (2 10-inch cast iron skillets are ideal). Set both over high heat.
- 2Spread mustard on one slice of bread. Cover the bread with cheese, then sprinkle with black pepper and cover with the other slice of bread.
- 3Spritz the upper surface of bread lightly with olive oil.
- 4When the pans are hot enough for a drop of water to sizzle, remove from heat and place the oiled side of the sandwich down in one pan. Spritz the dry (now upper) surface with oil, as well as the bottom of the second skillet. Lay the skillet on the sandwich. If the top skillet isn't cast iron, weight it down with a brick or large can.
- 5When the cheese begins to run out onto the pan surface (you'll hear it sizzle), it's done. This will take 3-5 minutes.
- 6Remove from the pans (you may need a spatula to coax the pans free) to a plate. Wait 10 seconds before cutting in half and enjoying.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gourmet Grilled Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 591.6
- Calories from Fat 353
- Total Fat 39.2 g
- Saturated Fat 24.2 g
- Cholesterol 118.6 mg
- Sodium 1098.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 32.1 g