Cheesy, yummy, rich and creamy, gourmet style mac and cheese. :)
Make and share this Gourmet Girl's Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced onion
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated (you can experiment with cheeses of course, I think I put in bits of a few kinds I had on hand)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (or more to taste, regular, not honey)
- 3⁄4 lb macaroni or 3⁄4 lb choice of shaped pasta, cooked, drained, and cooled, tossed with a little butter to prevent sticking
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, melt 4 T. of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute onions until tender and translucent.
- Whisk in flour to make a roux and cook for a couple minutes, stirring, until golden.
- Slowly whisk in the milk with a wire whisk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, whisking on occasion for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in grated cheese. Stir vigorously until cheese has just melted.
- Then whisk in heavy cream to achieve the desired consistency and season to taste with the salt, white pepper and mustard.
- In a mixing bowl combine sauce with drained macaroni and adjust salt and white pepper to desired flavor.
- Transfer mixture to a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top and dot with remaining 4 T. of butter.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This tastes wonderful. I do think when I make it again I'll use a sharper cheese to give it more of a zing or even use a few kinds just like gourmet_girl says she does. Still - it turned out beautifully and it was yummy. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 2008.