1/2 Photos of Gourmet Girl's Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese
Cheesy, yummy, rich and creamy, gourmet style mac and cheese. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated (you can experiment with cheeses of course, I think I put in bits of a few kinds I had on hand)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (or more to taste, regular, not honey)
- 3/4 lb macaroni or 3/4 lb choice of shaped pasta, cooked, drained, and cooled, tossed with a little butter to prevent sticking
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Meanwhile, melt 4 T. of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 3Saute onions until tender and translucent.
- 4Whisk in flour to make a roux and cook for a couple minutes, stirring, until golden.
- 5Slowly whisk in the milk with a wire whisk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, whisking on occasion for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 6Remove pan from heat and whisk in grated cheese. Stir vigorously until cheese has just melted.
- 7Then whisk in heavy cream to achieve the desired consistency and season to taste with the salt, white pepper and mustard.
- 8In a mixing bowl combine sauce with drained macaroni and adjust salt and white pepper to desired flavor.
- 9Transfer mixture to a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- 10Sprinkle bread crumbs on top and dot with remaining 4 T. of butter.
- 11Bake until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- 12Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gourmet Girl's Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 559.1
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.2 g
- Saturated Fat 21.7 g
- Cholesterol 109.6 mg
- Sodium 357.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 16.7 g