Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
This makes a crisp chewy style hamburger bun that is delicious! I made this for fun and it is a family favorite now. If you like big burgers these buns will handle them well. They are fantastic as sandwich buns also. They make a mean ham and cheese! This is adopted from Failproof french bread Failproof French Bread (Bread Machine)
- 500 g bread flour (4 cups)
- 5 g salt (1t)
- 7 g yeast, 1 (1/4 ounce package)
- 325 g warm water (1 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces hot water, for spraying oven walls
- Place ingredients in bread maker according to manufacturer instructions. The water should be about 110*F.
- Set the machine to dough cycle and start the machine.
- When the dough is finished roll onto a floured surface.
- Roll the dough to about an 1 1/4" -2 inch thickness (depending on how tall you want your buns.).
- Flour a 3 1/2 inch cutter (I use a glass) and press straight down to cut out the bun.
- Place buns on a greased baking sheet and cover with a tea towell for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place buns in oven, then using a water bottle sprayer, squirt hot water all around the hot oven, but not near the light bulb. Wait 30 seconds and spray again, do this one more time and let the buns bake.
- Bake for 15 to 18 mins (ovens vary in temp). Check halfway way through and turn the pan.
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
- (Note) I have made these with a stand mixer with great success.