Recipe by Elizabeth H.
Not quite traditional, but equally delicious, these enchiladas substitute rice for beans. Choose your own chile to control the "heat"! Guaranteed authentically New Mexican! High altitude tested.
Top Review by Marla Swoffer
This was a filling and tasty meal. I used leftover beef (slow cooked roast that I shredded), pinto beans, frozen corn, sharp cheddar, and picante sauce. I microwaved four tortillas at a time. I couldn't get the broth to absorb without overcooking but it still tasted fine. Next time I might try a traditional enchilada sauce since my husband ended up adding picante sauce to give it more flavor. I'd also add sliced black olives and use more cheese (maybe inside the enchiladas too).
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 2 cups cooked white rice, cooled
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup shredded colby or 1⁄2 cup shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained (plain or with jalapeno peppers)
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies or 1 (4 ounce) canchopped fresh roasted green chili peppers
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wrap tortillas between 2 damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 seconds.
- Carefully remove them from the microwave (they will be hot).
- Place one tortilla in a 13x9x2 pan that has been sprayed lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place about 2 Tbl. of chicken and 3 Tbl. of rice along the center of the tortilla, then roll it and leave it in the pan seam-side down.
- Repeat for all 7 remaining tortillas.
- (The enchiladas should nicely fill the pan from end-to-end, with open space on each side.) Pour the black beans evenly over the top of the enchiladas.
- Repeat with the corn.
- Sprinkle the cheese over all.
- Top with green chiles.
- Pour the chicken broth or water over all.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and liquid in pan is absorbed.
- Serving suggestion: On the table, offer non-fat sour cream, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and chopped onion as additional toppings.