Tristan's Nana's Note:
This recipe was adapted from another on Recipe Zaar. My dogs loved the original, but they practically turn inside out for this one. We raise our own beef, but do not use the organ meats. (The recipe says "beef" because the web site does not recognize "organ meats.") I chop the meats up (raw or cooked), then puree them in my food processor. You can also use left-over meats of any kind in these. I freeze the puree in 1 cup containers to use for the dog cookies. They're healthy and they love them!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup powdered milk (I've used milk in it's place and reduced the water when I don't have dry milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (If you want a REALLY healthy cookie, substitute Udo's Choice Oil Blend with Omegas 3, 6, 9 and ESF's)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup beef, pureed. (I have combined meats, as well.)
- 1Preheat oven (see choices below).
- 2In large bowl, mix all ingredients together. The dough will be thick and possibly sticky.
- 3Knead on floured surface. If really sticky, add a bit of flour as you knead until dough does not stick to hands or board.
- 4Roll out to about 3/4" thick.
- 5Cut into squares or use a simple cookie cutter. Yield depends on size of cookie.
- 6Bake on lightly sprayed sheet according to following directions. You may line sheet with tin foil to make clean up easier.
- 7I have baked these two different ways. One is at 350 F for 22 minutes, but I recommend this way only if you will use the cookies rather quickly. The other is to use a convected oven set at about 200 F and "dehydrate" the cookies until they are hard and crunchy. (They don't "give" when you push on the centers.) This will prevent spoiling if stored for awhile.
- 8Let cool.
- 9Store in a sealed container with moisture-reduction baggies such as those that come in shoe boxes, etc.
Browse Our Top Pet Food Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gourmet Dog Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (769 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.1
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 20.2 mg
- Sodium 22.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 5.7 g