Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Here's a deluxe version of cheese on toast, easily adaptable to your own tastes. You might try adding some mushrooms or some roasted sweet peppers.
- 150 g green beans
- salt and pepper
- 100 g soft creamy cheese (goat cheese is good)
- 6 black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaves or 1⁄4 cup basil leaves, shredded
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices thick bread
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 slices good quality ham
- Trim the beans, cut them in half and then boil in a small pan of water for two minutes.
- Drain and cool with some cold water.
- Place the cheese in a bowl with the olives, mint or basil, a squeeze of lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Mix together.
- Mix the onion and balsamic vinegar together in a bowl.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and pile over top of the onion mixture.
- Season with a bit of salt and pepper, add two tablespoons of the olive oil and garlic and mix together.
- Toast the bread, then rub one side with the remaining olive oil and spread thickly with the cheese mixture.
- Cover with each piece of bread with a ham slice, place the toast on plates and pile with the onion mixture.
- Garnish with the beans and serve.