Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
Leeks and apples simmered in cider add a hint of sweetness-- nice contrast to the sharp melted cheddar. If you can find oblong pretzel rolls at your market, they'll make an ideal accompaniment to these English-style hot dogs.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 473.18 ml leeks, thinly sliced white and pale green parts only
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, diced
- 2.46 ml caraway seed
- 0.25 ml ground allspice
- coarse kosher salt
- 354.88 ml hard apple cider or 295.73 ml apple cider and 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 6 hot dog buns, grilled
- Dijon mustard
- 6 beef hot dogs, grilled
- 56.69 g sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (half cup packed)
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and apple. Cover; cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Mix in caraway and allspice; season with coarse salt and pepper.
- Add hard cider; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer. uncovered. until most of liquid is cooked away, about 16 minutes.
- Arrange buns or rolls on plates. Spread each with mustard, then top with grilled hot dogs. Sprinkle dogs with cheese and top with leek mixture.