Recipe by Latchy
Dee514 asked me if I had a carrot cake recipe and this is what I sent her. She did say she doubled the recipe and put golden sultanas in it. I haven't tried it. She said it was great any queries ask Dee.
Top Review by LilKiwiChicken
Latchy, thanks heaps for this recipe. I love carrot cake but so many recipes have pineapple in them (yuck). The spices in this cake really compliment the carrot well, I had some ginger syrup so added 2T to the mix for a bit of depth, which tasted great. Everyone loved this, including the carrot haters out there, so a big pat on the back to you for helping convert them to the pleasures of fabulous carrot cake.
- 4 ounces self raising flour
- 4 ounces plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 8 fluid ounces oil
- 6 ounces soft brown sugar
- 4 fluid ounces golden syrup
- 4 eggs
- 12 1⁄2 ounces grated carrots
- 2 ounces chopped walnuts or 2 ounces pecans
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces butter, softened
- 6 ounces icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to warm 315dF.
- Brush a deep 9 inch round cake tin with melted butter or oil.
- Line the base and side with baking paper.
- Sift the flours, spices and soda into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Whisk together the oil, sugar, syrup and eggs and gradually stir in the dry ingredients until smooth.
- Stir in the carrot and walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin.
- Bake for 1-1/2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
- Cool in the tin, then on a wire rack Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Gradually add the icing sugar alternately with the vanilla and lemon juice, beating until light and creamy.
- Spread the icing over the cake or cut th cake horizontally, sandwich the layers together with half the icing and spread the rest on top.