Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is for a flavoured butter that turns the humble cabbage into a gourmet delight! Seriously, you'll be fighting over the last piece and you'll make sure that you cook double the next time I promise! This is by far the best way to serve cabbage, it is unbelievably good. The recipe is for 250g butter, you can store the rest in the freezer or adjust quantities to suit. The anchovies do not impart a fishy flavour at all and act more like a seasoning, as do the other ingredients. It's hard to put your finger on what the flavour really is, except damn good greens! Serving size is for the whole amount of butter and not for 1 cabbage. You must cook the cabbage according to the instructions set out below. Amazing.
- To make the butter, put everything EXCEPT the butter into the bowl of a food processor, whizz until finely chopped and then add to the butter. Mash everything together until all is incorporated, roll into a sausage shape and store in greaseproof paper in the fridge or freezer as needed.
- To make the cabbage half it and cut out the core. Separate the leaves starting at the outside and cut any large ones into halves and quarters.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add a little salt along with the cabbage, bring back to the boil, lower the heat just a little and simmer for 5 minutes ONLY.
- Have a large bowl of ice water ready and immediately plunge the cabbage into it to stop the cooking process - this is really important.
- Once cold, drain the cabbage well and reserve until needed.
- Melt a large hunk of the flavoured butter in a pan over a medium heat and allow to sizzle for just less than 1 minute without browning.
- Add the prepared cabbage (you may have to do this in 2 batches) and heat gently until hot, completely coated with the butter and any excess water has evaporated off. Season with a little salt and plenty of pepper.
- Fight over the last pieces and dream about having your next cabbage fest!