Recipe by CulinaryQueen
The idea of this came from Jamie Oliver, but I changed some of the ingredients. Not something to have every day as it's probably loaded with cholesterol due to the bacon and cheese! It's a bit of prep work but it's worth it. Recipe can easily be increased depending on number being served.
Top Review by Luschka
This was absolutely delicious. We really loved it and can imagine serving it to friends! My DH said "It's like a healthy fry up!" Worked very well with the poached egg and the brie just added a different flavour and this is a definite favorite from now on. Thanks for submitting!
- 1 slice Italian bread
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 slices bacon (streaky)
- 1 small tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 2 -3 slices brie cheese or 2 -3 slices camembert cheese
- 1 egg, poached
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaf, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the grill/broiler.
- Heat a frying pan (I use cast iron) over medium heat.
- Bring a small pan of water to the boil and then lower to a simmer, keeping covered.
- While the pan is heating and the water is coming to the boil, toast the bread (in toaster) and place on a foil-lined pan and drizzle with a bit of the olive oil.
- Add the bacon to the pan and cook until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Add the slices of tomato to the pan and fry on each side 2-3 minutes until you get that nice roasted look with the bits from the pan on them.
- Poach the egg for about 2 minutes in the simmering water.
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and place on the toasted bread.
- Then place the bacon slices, cheese and tomatoes on top.
- Place under the grill until the cheese starts to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Remove and transfer to a plate with a large spatula.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and torn basil leaves.
- Drizzle with more olive oil.