Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The idea of this came from Jamie Oliver, but I changed some of the ingredients. Not something to have every day as it's probably loaded with cholesterol due to the bacon and cheese! It's a bit of prep work but it's worth it. Recipe can easily be increased depending on number being served.
- 1 slice Italian bread
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 slices bacon (streaky)
- 1 small tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 2 -3 slices brie cheese or 2 -3 slices camembert cheese
- 1 egg, poached
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaf, for garnish
- Preheat the grill/broiler.
- Heat a frying pan (I use cast iron) over medium heat.
- Bring a small pan of water to the boil and then lower to a simmer, keeping covered.
- While the pan is heating and the water is coming to the boil, toast the bread (in toaster) and place on a foil-lined pan and drizzle with a bit of the olive oil.
- Add the bacon to the pan and cook until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Add the slices of tomato to the pan and fry on each side 2-3 minutes until you get that nice roasted look with the bits from the pan on them.
- Poach the egg for about 2 minutes in the simmering water.
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and place on the toasted bread.
- Then place the bacon slices, cheese and tomatoes on top.
- Place under the grill until the cheese starts to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Remove and transfer to a plate with a large spatula.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and torn basil leaves.
- Drizzle with more olive oil.
This was absolutely delicious. We really loved it and can imagine serving it to friends! My DH said "It's like a healthy fry up!" Worked very well with the poached egg and the brie just added a different flavour and this is a definite favorite from now on. Thanks for submitting!
THis was definitely gourmet and oh so delicious! I have not mastered the poaching of eggs yet, so I did a fried egg instead. Yummy! Thanks for the recipe, CulinaryQueen!