Entered for safe-keeping, because every now and then I get a craving for a Big Mac and Its Sauce. From Nathan Myhrvold & Maxime Bilet's "Modernist Cuisine at Home". This version is fancier and less sweet than McDonald's sauce, although the exact flavor depends on your choice of mustard and pickles. (Neutral oils: beef tallow, canola or rapeseed, chicken fat, clarified butter, refined coconut oil, corn oil, duck fat, grapeseed oil, refined peanut oil, pork lard, safflower oil, soybean oil, and sunflower oil.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup safflower oil (or other neutral-tasting oil, see Recipe Description, 75 mL or 70 g)
- 4 cups leeks, minced (200 g)
- 3/4 cup shallot, minced (95 g)
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 mL or 220 g)
- 7/8 cup noilly prat dry vermouth (200 mL or 200 g)
- 4 tablespoons spicy cucumber pickles, minced (Baumgardner brand preferred but also see Mondo's Hot & Spicy Pickles or Super Simple No-cook Sweet-and-spicy Pickles or Refrigerator Fire and Ice Pickles or Recipe)
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard (20 g)
- pickle juice, to taste (from spicy pickles)
- salt, to taste
- 1In a sauté pan over medium-low heat, heat the oil for 1 minute. Add the leeks and shallots and sweat for about 15 minutes, stirring often until very tender.
- 2Add cream and vermouth. Increase heat to medium-high, and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 8-10 minutes.
- 3Fold in pickles and mustard.
- 4Season the sauce generously with pickle juice and salt, to taste.
- 5Cool, and serve it cool. Will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gourmet Big Mac Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (32 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.7
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 16.3 mg
- Sodium 36.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 0.7 g