Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Bangers & Mash is a traditional English dish that's simple, cheap and filling. No need to be excluded from enjoying this treat if you're vegetarian -- just try some of the many meat-free sausages available. In England, Quorn sausages are a favourite of mine but the Linda McCartney brand sausages are also good.
- 6 plump sausages
- 4-6 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 118.29 ml milk
- 29.58 ml butter
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 14.79 ml cooking oil
- 14.79 ml flour
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 1 glass wine
- 1 chicken stock cube, dissolved in 300 ml water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Grill or fry the sausages.
- The healthiest way is to grill them in the oven at 350 F or 180 C for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until tender.
- Drain potatoes and mash with milk, butter, salt and nutmeg until smooth.
- For the gravy, heat oil in a frying pan and sauté onions until nicely browned.
- Stir in the flour and then the mustard, followed by the wine. A few seconds later add the stock and allow to thicken.
- Pile the mash onto a plate, followed by the sausages and lovely spoonfuls of the gravy.
This made for a tasty, easy family dinner, and I particularly liked the light touch of nutmeg in the mashed potatoes. However, the gravy wasn't as robust as I had hoped; next time I think I will use beef stock instead of chicken, red wine instead of the white I used, and maybe add some chopped mushrooms. I baked the sausages at 350 and they were perfect after 30 minutes. Thanks for posting!
Great recipe! Based on some of the other reviews I used red wine and beef bouillon instead of the chicken. I will also add mushrooms next time (even though that's probably not authentic, I bet it would taste great). I never would have thought to bake/roast the sausages and they came out perfectly.
I really enjoyed this, though I have never had Bangers and Mash before. My husband said that the potatoes were right, but that the gravy was not--though it was tasty! Thank you for a good dinner and great directions. (Following your directions, everything came together at exactly the same time!)