Bangers & Mash is a traditional English dish that's simple, cheap and filling. No need to be excluded from enjoying this treat if you're vegetarian -- just try some of the many meat-free sausages available. In England, Quorn sausages are a favourite of mine but the Linda McCartney brand sausages are also good.
- Grill or fry the sausages.
- The healthiest way is to grill them in the oven at 350 F or 180 C for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until tender.
- Drain potatoes and mash with milk, butter, salt and nutmeg until smooth.
- For the gravy, heat oil in a frying pan and sauté onions until nicely browned.
- Stir in the flour and then the mustard, followed by the wine. A few seconds later add the stock and allow to thicken.
- Pile the mash onto a plate, followed by the sausages and lovely spoonfuls of the gravy.