Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Outstanding recipe that came from Gourmet Magazine.
Make and share this Gourmet Baked Penne Pasta recipe from Food.com.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh basil (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups packed grated havarti cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sliced black olives
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb penne pasta
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy Dutch oven; add onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes.
- Mix in tomatoes, oregano and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, breaking up tomatoes with the back of the spoon.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta until just tender; drain and return to same pot, toss with remaining oil.
- Pour sauce over pasta, toss to blend.
- Mix in Havarti cheese and transfer to a 13x9x3 baking dish. Sprinkle with olives, basil and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes in preheated 375 degree oven.
- Note: Can be made ahead and refrigerated. Increase baking time to 1 hour.
Great pasta dish!! I had not cooked with Havarti cheese before and was absolutely thrilled with the result! It melted nicely into the pasta and contributed great flavor! To suit my family I used only half of the crushed red pepper which resulted in a hint of heat - perfect for us. I also measured the juice from the tomatoes, added water to equal 2 cups of liquid, and also added chicken bouillon -all in place of the chicken broth. I did make it ahead and baked it later - that worked well according to your directions. Delicious! We'll make this one again. Thanks Skooch.