1/2 Photos of Gourmet Arroz con Pollo
1 hr 5 mins
This is a great recipe, with olives and capers to give it a gourmet touch! I got it from Calling All Cooks TV show. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons achiote seeds
- 1 -2 whole chicken, cut into parts or 5 boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 2 large onions, diced
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 jar capers
- 3 cups long grain brown rice or 3 cups long grain white rice
- 1/2 bunch cilantro leaf, cut up (can substitute parsley)
- 6 basil leaves, cut into strips
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 jar green olives, pimento stuffed or 1 jar black olives
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 can baby peas
- 1Place 1/2 cup of olive oil in small pan and add the achiote.
- 2Heat on medium heat until bubbles form, then remove from heat and let steep.
- 3Drain achiote seeds from oil (should be a vibrant reddish-orange color).
- 4Place oil in large stockpot.
- 5Heat oil on high and place chicken pieces in pot and brown; this is done just to brown chicken NOT to cook it.
- 6Remove chicken from pot.
- 7Place diced onions, garlic, and peppers in pot with the achiote.
- 8Saute until soft (do not burn garlic).
- 9Put capers in pot and cook for a while with the onion mixture.
- 10Add rice to the pot with garlic, peppers, garlic and capers, then swirl rice into the mixture.
- 11Let the rice cook for just about a minute.
- 12Place cut up cilantro (or parsley) and basil in pot.
- 13Add in chicken broth and make sure you scrape the pot.
- 14Add chicken pieces back in.
- 15Put olives in and mix.
- 16Place bay leaves in pot.
- 17Check for seasonings (Please note: add salt and pepper at the end).
- 18Let the mixture cook on medium heat until the rice is done.
- 19Add peas just before serving.
- 20In another medium pot place peeled asparagus in water and boil until they turn bright green.
- 21Place in ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- 22To serve, place rice and chicken in a large platter.
- 23Arrange chicken pieces around platter and rice in the center.
- 24Place cooked asparagus around the platter and then place pimentos in the center.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gourmet Arroz con Pollo
Serving Size: 1 (574 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 907.3
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 115.0 mg
- Sodium 627.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 40.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: