Recipe by KEHALI
I started loving this dish in grade school. I've just added my own variations to this wonderful dish, including a little Habanero!
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -2 habanero pepper
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb elbow macaroni or 1 lb twist pasta
- 1 small green pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- brown sugar
- 1 small onion
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, brown the ground sirloin for five minutes. When the meat starts to brown, add finely chopped onion, garlic, and peppers, worchestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- When meat is browned and other ingredients tender, mix the tomato paste and chopped tomato into these ingredients and let cook another 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Pour contents of skillet into large pot, pour your pasta on top, then cover all ingredients with tomato juice. Add brown sugar to taste, just enough for a slight sweet flavor.
- Put a lid on the pot and keep heat on medium, for 15 minutes OR until it starts to thicken, then turn down heat to low for another 5- 10 minutes.
- NOTE: CHECK YOUR PASTA FROM TIME TO TIME, TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT QUITE DONE--IF IT OVERCOOKS, IT WILL BECOME GUMMY.
- ALSO, BY POURING THE TOMATO JUICE ONTO THE MEAT AND PASTA, THE JUICE COOKS INTO THE PASTA, MAKING IT TASTIER. I DO THIS INSTEAD OF COOKING THE PASTA IN WATER AND THEN DRAINING.
- SERVE WITH CRUSTY BREAD AND SALAD.