1/1 Photo of Goulash With Spatzle
1 hr 30 mins
HEP MEP's Note:
This recipe is from an 80s cooking show We're Cooking Now. I've made this several times both with the spatzle, or regular egg noodles.(but the spatzle is kind of fun!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef round steak, chuck
- 1 lb sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons instantized flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper
- grated lemon, zest of (to garnish)
- 1Cut meat into 1-inch cubes.
- 2Brown onions in oil in a large heavy flameproof casserole or saucepan.
- 3Add meat cubes and brown.
- 4Sprinkle with flour.
- 5Add paprika, marjoram, caraway seed and tomato paste.
- 6Add stock or enough water just to cover meat.
- 7Bring to a boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 8Add additional flour to adjust the consistency, if desired.
- 9SPATZLE: Sift dry ingredients.
- 10Beat in eggs.
- 11Add enough milk to make a heavy dough or batter.
- 12Force through large-hole colander into a pot of rapidly boing salted water.
- 13Boil for 6-8 minutes.
- 14Remove with slotted spoon.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Goulash With Spatzle
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1035.9
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 358.3 mg
- Sodium 1287.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 71.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef round steak