Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
You can use regular paprika but the taste will not be authentic in this wonderful little gulyas.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup red wine or 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- sour cream, to serve with goulash
- hot buttered noodles
- Cut beef into 1 1/2 in cubes. Dice the bacon and put into a heavy Dutch oven. Sauté over medium to high heat until fat is rendered out. Add beef cubes. Brown slowly until all cubes are nicely browned.
- Add the onions. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until onions are softened.
- Add the red wine or broth, paprika, salt and green pepper. Blend well.
- Cook slowly, covered, without allowing to boil, about 2 hours, until meat is tender but not falling apart. Add more liquid if needed but don't let it go soupy. Add salt to taste.
- Serve over hot buttered noodles and top with sour cream.
- Add a crusty French bread for some good eating!
Loved this goulash! We are fond of green peppers so used the largest one I had - other then that made as posted for a lovely supper. Nothing like goulash when you have been outdoors all day! Thank you Julie, we all enjoyed that goulash.
Along with a salad, this made for a very satisfying meal. At the end, I also thickened the sauce a bit with a tablespoon of arrowroot mixed in with a little cold water. Thanks, Julie B's Hive! Made for Aussie - New Zealand Recipe Swap #13.