Recipe by Julie B's Hive
You can use regular paprika but the taste will not be authentic in this wonderful little gulyas.
Top Review by Gerry
Loved this goulash! We are fond of green peppers so used the largest one I had - other then that made as posted for a lovely supper. Nothing like goulash when you have been outdoors all day! Thank you Julie, we all enjoyed that goulash.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup red wine or 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- sour cream, to serve with goulash
- hot buttered noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut beef into 1 1/2 in cubes. Dice the bacon and put into a heavy Dutch oven. Sauté over medium to high heat until fat is rendered out. Add beef cubes. Brown slowly until all cubes are nicely browned.
- Add the onions. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until onions are softened.
- Add the red wine or broth, paprika, salt and green pepper. Blend well.
- Cook slowly, covered, without allowing to boil, about 2 hours, until meat is tender but not falling apart. Add more liquid if needed but don't let it go soupy. Add salt to taste.
- Serve over hot buttered noodles and top with sour cream.
- Add a crusty French bread for some good eating!