Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great comfort food :)
For the Meatballs
- 1 kg lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 5 slices bread, crust removed, cut into cubes
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup flour, seasoned with
- salt and pepper
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, extra, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 (425 g) cans diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- pasta, to serve
- Combine the mince, onion, garlic, parsley, rosemary, bread and eggs in a bowl. Season and mix until well combined.
- Roll into tablespoon-sized balls, and roll in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a large high-sided saucepan and add the meatballs in batches. Cook until browned and set aside.
- Add onion and capsicum to the pan. Cook until onion is browned. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add paprika, caraway seeds and wine. Simmer the mixture for 1 minute and then add tomatoes.
- Return the meatballs to the pan and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of the sauce to the sour cream and then slowly add the cream back to the sauce (this ensures the cream doesn't curdle).
- Simmer for 5 minutes and serve with pasta.
- Tip: 1kg mince makes approximately 40 meatballs. Use as many as you like in the goulash and keep the leftovers for snacks.
This recipe has nice flavours and i would make it again with the following variations,the meatball and sauce ratio was low ,so next time i would only use 700g of mince,i also would use fresh breadcrumbs or even packet breadcrumbs instead of the cubed bread(the texture it created inside the meatball was chewy)I also found 2 eggs even for 1kg was too much therefore i would only use 1 egg,and finally i would serve with rice as this is the usual accompinent to a goulash.