Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This really yummy soup was the winner of the Oktober Fest Home Cooking Recipe Contest for the 10/03 Texas CoOp Power Magazine.
- 1 lb lean stew meat, boneless
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 small potatoes, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Cut beef into 1/2" cubes.
- In 4 qt pan sprayed with cooking spray combine beef, onions, garlic, paprika, marjoram and 1/2 c water.
- Cover and simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and increase heat to medium, cook, stirring often til liquid has evaporated and onions are browned. 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in flour until smoothly blended.
- Add 1 cup more of the water, beef broth, and tomato paste, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Gradually add in remaining 3 1/2 c water and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and peppers.
- Cover and reduce heat cooking til meat is tender - about 2 hours. Skim and discard surface fat.
- Stir in parsley and season to taaste with salt and pepper.
Made with all the ingredients exceft for the oil. I placed it all in my crock pot and cooked for 3 hours on low! Very comforting!
I really liked this. My son did not like the broth but loved the meat only. So, I probably won't get to make this again for some time.
Just came back from Austria, and this was just as tasty and heartwarming!