Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Adapted from The New Diabetic Cookbook, Great on a cold winter night. Delicious, I used what I had on hand for this. I cut down on the amount of onion and fat in this dish.
- 1 cup onion, Chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb beef stew meat, Lean
- 8 cups nonfat beef broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can white potatoes, Quartered
- Brown onions in heavy skillet til soft and translucent.
- Transfer to sauce pan.
- Brown stew meat in skillet, discarding as much fat as possible before putting meat in with onions.
- Add broth to frying pan to deglaze pan. Pour broth into pan with onions and meat.
- Add seasonings and tomato to meat mixture.
- cover and simmer until meat is tender.
- To remove fat, refrigerate and skim off fat from surface.
- Return to heat, add potatoes and cook 20 minutes.