Recipe by diner524
This is a recipe that I learned to make from my Mother, who learned to make from her Mother. It is a comfort food to all of us kids and now the grandchildren!!!
Top Review by mama smurf
Made for Think Pink Cancer Awareness tag 2010 and I am very glad I did...what comfort food. I changed the recipe somewhat. This is what I did. I added some sliced mushrooms, chopped green pepper, some corn (I had left over), about a 1/4 tsp. oregano and some red pepper flakes (for some zing), and some tomato sauce. DH loved this and we have enough to take down to the beach for lunch today. Definately a keeper and will go into my Favorites 2010. Thank you diner524 for a wonderful recipe that I'm sure is good as written or with the additions. Served with a green salad with Creamy French Dressing#24655 by Sharon123 and French bread. P.S. This was wonderful the next day for lunch...I did add a little more tomato sauce while it was warming up. Definately a 5 star for dinner and for lunch the next day!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (or 1 1/2 cups cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown ground beef with onion, till there is no pink left in the beef and then add garlic for a few minutes to cook, then drain beef mixture.
- Return pan to heat and add the can of diced tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and allow to heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add completely drained pasta and allow to blend for several minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until blended and melted.
- Note: We always had this with sliced bread and butter and either apple sauce with cinnamon or green beans with butter.